Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Hokkaido Day 3

My father and I visited the Historical Museum of Hokkaido and the Museum of Sapporo Beer Company. (My brother didn't come with us because he had to work.) I learned a lot from the former. I didn't know that the military conflict between the Ainu and the mainland Japanese dated back to the 13th or 14th century. (Trading between them back much further.) I also found in this museum moments where histories of the two people intersected and influenced each other.

BTW, I think I prefer rich and fat beer, which Japanese beer companies don't seem to produce a lot. The Sapporo Beer Museum was a little too small, but it was interesting for me to learn processes of making beer and a history of Japanese beer. (Next time I travel somewhere, I want to visit a museum of wine.) During this trip to Hokkaido, I realized that I love historical museums where I can learn histories of whatever by reading explanations and actually looking at (replicas of) historical artefacts, as well as by assessing structures of representations of histories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home