Sunday, September 11, 2005

Parents and Children

According to prior research in the US (if I remember correctly), there is no significant correlation between parents' racial attitudes and their children's. I can somehow understand that in the context of contemporary Japan. In my opinion, parents influence children in terms of cognitions of and attitudes toward different national groups only through their selection of representations (e.g., in TV programs, toys, etc.) that children encounter at home. It is mostly up to children themselves who interpret, evaluate, and appropriate those representations produced via larger political, social, and cultural systems. So, parents have only an indirect influence...?

I am disappointed with the result of the general election. I don't think the long dominance of one single party is good for democracy. (Also I don't think the current campaign law is conducive to discussion of policies. The 12-day campaign period is too short for that.) Why don't we have more diversity, debate, and dissent in Japan?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home