Monday, August 08, 2005

Children as Naive-Native Sociologists

I wonder whether girls are more precocious than boys in developing naïve sociology. My impression is that preschool girls tend to spend more time than boys in elaborating and negotiating rules of the game they are playing. (I think the nature of the game partly determines players’ orientations. Even when they use the same toy, say Legos, preschoolers can play within different social frames, that is, games. Some use Legos to build complex objects (e.g., an airplane) by themselves, and others use them to play house together.) So my question is why girls tend to play more social/communicational games than boys. I don’t think it’s either biology or socialization. It’s both. We can then start asking how various mechanisms cause the observable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home