Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Why Should I Blog Everyday?

From today I will try to update my blog every day. I believe that it will help me keep my senses fresh, which is helpful for me during fieldwork.

The summer vacation for elementary and junior high schools began at the end of July. Since then, I have been tutoring two high-school seniors, training with the junior-high school baseball team, and teaching my mother’s friends English, in addition to my weekly visit to the kindergarten and daily data entry.

I just came home from tutoring one of the high-school seniors. (I teach English.) I am hoping that I can teach them basics of English and learning in general that will enable them to go beyond constraints of entrance exams. I mean, I want them to be able eventually to think critically, construct their own arguments cogently, and communicate with others coherently in English as well as in Japanese. This is not something that is systematically taught at Japanese schools, but I believe this is what younger generations of the Japanese must develop if they are to resolve many social problems that confront this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home