Friday, May 27, 2005

The Phantom of WWII

My cousin and I went to A University of Education to meet with Professor N. He is a former advisor of my cousin as well as a principal of the junior high school attached to the University. He turned out to be a very nice and generous person (like my cousin). We talked about various educational issues and laughed together. By listening to my cousin and the professor discussing present conditions of junior high schools, I also learned a lot about “insider information.” I think professors in education tend to be more mature and sociable than those in other disciplines. With his help I will carry out a survey sometime in June or July.

News headlines in the evening were dominated by two Japanese soldiers who were discovered in Mindanao Island of the Philippines. (It seems that they have been fighting with Muslim fundamentalist guerrillas, but they decided to return to Japan as they got old.) TV stations also aired video clips of the two other Japanese soldiers who were found in Guam and the Philippines in the 1970’s. I wonder whether this event will trigger discussion about Japan’s war responsibility against a backdrop of the escalating tension between China and Japan over Yasukuni Shrine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home